Please read through the following bullet points to understand just how a Self-sufficient climbing party works at the Alaska Rock Gym.
- Always call well in advance to check the availability of your desired date. Seriously, call well in advance - we are generally booked out three weeks on self-sufficient parties. A 50% deposit, based on the estimated number of guests, is required to hold a reservation.
- Don’t forget, each party participant under the age of 18 must have an Alaska Rock Gym minor liability waiver that has been signed by a parent or legal guardian, regardless of prior visits to the gym.
- Self-sufficient parties may be held at the Alaska Rock Gym on Sundays from 11am to 1pm. Additional mid-week times may be available during holiday breaks and no-school days, please call for more information. No minimum, but maximum group size is 16 particpants.
- Cost of the party is $18/participant. We provide 90 minutes of climb time and all gear, including shoes. Hosts provide belaying AND general supervision. We do not provide cake and ice cream. We have a freezer available to keep ice cream or ice cream cakes cold.
- Party hosts provide their own belayers; participant to belayer ratio should be about 4/1. Party belayers must be previously certified to belay at the Alaska Rock Gym, and must be current and solid in their belay skills!
- Each participant under the age of 18 MUST have an Alaska Rock Gym minor liability waiver that has been COMPLETELY FILLED OUT AND SIGNED by a parent or legal guardian. This is an ABSOLUTE requirement. Though children may have been to previous parties or kids’ classes at the gym, we do not keep those waivers available on file. Waivers may be completed electronically on this site; down-loaded and printed; or hard copies picked up at the gym. We recommend waiver instructions be included with the invitations.
- If use of the party room is desired, a 50% deposit, based on the estimated number of participants, is required to hold a reservation. The deposit can be made in person or over the phone with a credit card. We take Visa, MC and American Express. The balance of the party cost is paid the day of the party.
- Experience has shown us that most participants tire after about 90 minutes of climbing. This leaves the group 30 minutes to open presents and serve cake or snack in the party room.
- Hosts can decorate in the party room with table clothes, etc, but please NO BALLOONS in the building (they get stuck in our ceiling fans), or tacks in the walls. Don’t forget a cake knife, lighter or matches and ice cream scoop. Please tidy up the party room before leaving the gym.
- A word about supervising your group while at the Alaska Rock Gym: We will provide at least one staff member to assist your group during a self-sufficient event. This helpful and knowledgeable person will provide the facility, boulder and roped climbing area orientations to the group, and give some basic climbing tips to the kids. They are there for your safety. Party hosts and parents must stay engaged with the group and provide supervision during climbing. Other gym users will be present during the party, and we ask that parents and party participants respect them and keep the group under control. Thanks!
$18 per participant