ALASKA GYM RULES & CHILD POLICY
- Anyone climbing, bouldering or belaying must be checked in at the front desk.
- Anyone climbing, bouldering or belaying must have participated in a gym orientation and be certified by Alaska Rock Gym staff to belay, lead belay or lead climb.
- Climbers must use a UIAA approved harness and belay device. All equipment must be used in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Climbers must be on belay when climbing above one body length in height off the floor.
- No street shoes, food, or beverages on the padded surfaces.
- Children under the age of 14 must be SUPERVISED by a parent or guardian at ALL TIMES.
- No swinging, hanging or pulling on the ropes.
- No running, screaming or horseplay.
- Please be respectful of our family friendly environment.
Lead Rope Requirements
Personal lead ropes may be used in the gym, but MUST meet the following specifications:
- UIAA certified dynamic rope in good condition
- 9.4mm – 10.2mm diameter
- 35M absolute minimum length or longer
The Alaska Rock Gym is not responsible for inspecting or approving personal climbing equipment used in the gym.
Boulder Area Guidelines
- Anyone climbing in the boulder area must be checked in at the front desk and have participated in a boulder orientation with Alaska Rock Gym staff.
- BOULDERING IS DANGEROUS! You will fall, and injuries are common. Use spotters where appropriate, keep fall zones clear.
- DO NOT CLIMB ABOVE YOUR ABILITY to control and absorb the fall! Take the force of the fall to the pad – tuck and roll.
- BE AWARE OF OTHER CLIMBERS in your area, don’t climb above others.
- DO NOT CLIMB OVER THE TOP EDGE OF THE BOULDER WALL.
- Keep harnesses, water bottles and chalk bags OFF PADDED SURFACES.
- NO FOOD OR BEVERAGES allowed past the seating area.
- NO STREET SHOES allowed on the padded surfaces.
Youth Supervision Guidelines
Children Ages 10-13
- All children in the bouldering area between the ages of 10 to 13 must be within eyesight of a responsible adult at all times
- Children between the ages of 10 to 13 must be under direct supervision of a responsible adult while using the auto belays
A supervising adult may not be responsible for more than 5 children under the age of 14 at any time.
Children Ages 10 & Under
All children in the boulder area under the age of 10 must be within arm’s reach of a responsible adult at all times.
- If your child is climbing, you should be spotting them
- If your child is not climbing, they should be standing next to you
- If you would like to boulder with your child, a second adult must be present to supervise. You may not climb and supervise simultaneously
Infants in Carriers
- Please place properly restrained infants in carriers on hard floor surfaces.
- Please do not place carriers on any padded surfaces.
- Infants need to be in caregiver’s direct line of sight at all times.
Infants that can crawl, scoot, roll, or otherwise move themselves need to be within arm’s length and closely attended by a non-climbing, non-belaying caregiver at all times.
Padded surfaces are fall zones, not play areas. Please keep mobile infants off padded surfaces.